Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Emotional & Behavorial Cycle: The best tool I have ever found


The most helpful tool I ever received was in Maryland from a psychologist that worked with my doctor.  I was in a unique mansion customized to house patients who needed quick access to the hospitals nearby.  We had group meeting every day at 3:00pm.  I wanted to nap.  I had tools already.  I didn't want to meet the guy who had been hit by lightening and hear his story again, or the lady who had back pain... I had just had surgery.  I heard them yesterday. Didn't they know how painful it would be to slide down on my bottom two flights of stairs to the living room with my leg out straight ?

Well.. I did it. You might be thinking... why no elevator?  Why didn't you stay in a hotel?

The truth was... having to go through the struggle of getting to that group meeting placed me in a vulnerable place to HEAR.  My m.o. before was to go inside and turtle and figure it out... then come out and share.  I had no choice there.

GETTING PAST YOUR FEAR IS EMPOWERING. IT TAKES YOU TO SEE THE OPEN DOORS.

I heard the cheers of the patients and the male receptionist at his desk at the bottom of the spiral stairs...(George happened to be the size of football player with a booming and sweetly sarcastic voice, "Kaitlyn!  What you doin' girl? You're late.  You have surgery or something?  You gotta leave earlier.  Whoa!  You played that crab soccer out in California huh?  Hustle, hustle!  You gonna beat the traffic traffic down those stairs! 3, 2, 1... alright!  Now in an hour you can do it backwards.  He he he."

I sent a few empty threats in return.   "When I get up I will throw my crutches at you, George."

HUMOR HELPS YOU GET THROUGH ANYTHING.


Okay. So what did I get in the group?  A photocopied piece of paper that I refer to daily and have been for seven years.

The "Emotional and Behavioral Cycle" of families and patients in chronic pain.   If you are interested in joining me as I share this tool on conference call, please comment or contact me.

I hope you can use and share the revised version I created.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful. Thanks So very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having this here, I'd forgotten about it and it's excellent! Thanks for posting! xoxo

    ReplyDelete